Social & Emotional Intelligence – Another way of being smart – Heighten Success, improve your life and become an Influential Leader. We will cover 26 competencies that determine how we manage ourselves and how we handle our relationships.
1st of Series:
Personal Power – Competency 1 of 26
Meeting Life’s Challenges – A sense of self-confidence & inner knowing that you can meet life’s challenges/live the life you choose; ability to have difficult conversations & to speak your truth quietly-sincerely-assertively-appropriately:
Here are some of the qualities people have with “Strong Personal Power”
- Have a calm inner conviction about who they are and their ability to get the things they want and need in life
- Are able to distinguish between the things they have control over in life and those they do not; and don’t stress over the latter.
- Define themselves from the inside out (“I’m capable,” “I’m good at managing setbacks,” “I’m pretty good at managing conflicts,” “I’m creative”) rather than from the outside in (“I’m a Vice President,” “I’m a banker,” “I’m a lawyer,” or “I’m a doctor”).
- Know what they want and go for it.
Here are some of the qualities people have who are lacking Personal Power.
- Avoid confrontations with people, even to get a problem resolved or when the confrontation might be best in the long run.
- Are unable to set boundaries or demand respectful treatment from others.
Can you strengthen your Personal Power? YES!
Some Developmental Tips
- Set and keep boundaries – Example: Before saying “yes” ask yourself the following question: “By saying yes to this, will that force me to say “no” to something else that’s important to me?” If the answer to that question is yes, then evaluate its importance.
- Become aware of communication circumstances when you put yourself down or use language that suggests powerlessness or a lack of confidence. For example, be aware of allowing interruptions. Stop saying “I’m sorry” frequently. Stop the “uptalk,” that rising inflection at the end of a statement that makes you sound tentative. Become aware of weak language such as taglines (“this is a good idea, isn’t it?), and modifiers (like “hopefully,” and “I guess this is a good idea,” or even “I’m just the front desk person,” or “I’m only a beginner”). Our language teaches people how to treat us. If our language lacks power, we are perceived as lacking power and we are treated as lacking power. Enlist the help of a good communication coach to ensure your language is power.
- Identify those circumstances and situations where you can have influence and commit to making an impact in those areas.
Social & Emotional Intelligence Coaching
- Our Social & Emotional Intelligence coaching services:
- We are certified coaches through The “Institute of Social & Emotional Intelligence
- We use two assessments to help us better understand you and for you to get to know your strengths and possible areas that could improve.
- We help you break through barriers that can hold you back from reaching a fulfilled work & personal life
To learn more: Social & Emotional Intelligence Coaching
Our HR Program includes an employee manual and much more. We walk you through step by step offering sound advice as we work together to personalize your practices’ specific online employee manual.
To learn more: Human Resources
Dental Consulting Services
A Minnesota Dental Consulting Company who provides successful dental management systems specific to your needs using a hands-on approach. Building strong teams by advancing their communication skills with each other and your patients.
To learn more: Dental Consulting